Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Flu Shots for Care Givers: Necessary?

The short answer is yes.  I see the eyes rolling. I see your mouth forming the words "...and I always get sick after I get the shot!" I hear "I've never had one before, I'm not starting now!" and "I'm healthy and never get the flu, I don't need one." and (in your best martyr voice) "It's more important for at risk people to get the shot first so I'll wait!."  If you can personally identify with any of these, let me explain why you need to change your position on the flu shot. Let's start with some facts.
  • Every year the strain(s) of flu viruses change.  The shot you had last year (or 5 years ago) most likely will not be effective this year.
  • More than 50% of hospitalizations for flu are people aged 65 or older.
  • 90% of flu related deaths are people aged 65 and older.
  • The flu is contagious about 24 hours before there are symptoms.
  • The flu shot does not contain any live or active virus of any kind. Though you may have had an illness after getting a flu shot it is not possible to get ill from the shot, short of having an allergic reaction, which can happen in a small percentage of people.
"But" I hear you say "I'm not that old!"  

In Pennsylvania, and I'm sure across most of the nation, emphasis is not only to vaccinate those we serve but to vaccinated ourselves. Experience has taught us that if we keep the flu out of our homes and out of our facilities, we can greatly reduce the incidence of the flu in those we serve.  In my own facilities and in two other facilities I have run, when we get more than 90% of the caregivers vaccinated we have gone some years without even one flu related hospitalization. Increasingly, health care facilities are taking a strong stand on the flu shot, requiring caregivers to either get the shot or to wear a mask while working, recognizing that reducing the risk of transmission is the most effective tool to protect our seniors.

Many of those we serve rarely get out into the community.  So where do they get the flu? From us. Remember that you are contagious before you begin to get symptoms. Remember that just because your immune system is able to effectively fight off the virus, you are still very capable of spreading it to others you interact with.

Managers - you need to set the example for your staff.  If you don't take the issue seriously your staff won't either.
Care givers - Family and friends providing care in someone's home, home health workers, nurses aides, nurses, therapists, environmental service staff, dietary staff, activities staff, and any other worker who has regular contact with our seniors - you have daily contact with those you care for and pose the greatest risk of spreading the flu. Your residents are counting on you to help them stay healthy.
Employers - Looking for a way to reduce resident/patient hospitalizations? Need to get employee sick time under better control? Find your agency staff usage skyrocketing during the flu season? Provide the flu shot to you staff free of charge, it is inexpensive insurance against increased resident care costs and staffing costs.

Having opened your mind and having carefully considered the information above I'm sure you now agree that getting the flu shot this year is a great way to keep your residents/patients healthier this flu season. 


No comments:

Post a Comment